Monday, June 01, 2009

What I love about Düsseldork

First off, let me mention that I'm slowly switching to English so that my husband can understand what I'm going on about around here. I actually thought about translating the whole thing in English a long time ago, but since it's not exactly literature, I can spend my time doing more useful things. But I digress.

I had a sweet week-end. Not easy, because I've been husband-less for more than a month, since he is in the US for work (or so he says). But my mom was visiting, so I went out more than I usually would. There was a Jazz Rally in town, which meant the whole center had different spots where various bands, groups or individual musicians were performing. It was pretty cool to just walk around and switch to a totally different mood and music at every corner. We had pretzels (twice, damn they're good... the guy at the booth already knew to put out the ones with lots of salt when we appeared), enjoyed an old man and his banjo (amplified by his "i am a man who should play the banjo" look) then walked around until we got to one of the bigger stages. A band was just starting, so we stopped to see what it was about, and it turned out they were about being awesome. It was a highschool big band, and I love big band music. That aside, I looked around. There were people aged from 16 to 60, with Slipknot patches on their schoolbags or perfectly matched vintage suits, all drinking altbier from proper glasses, smiling, listening and tapping their feet. No BS, no labels, no pushing, no noses in the air, no negativity, no fakery, just people listening to the big band and tapping their feet together. And just when I was thinking, well, this is pretty neat, they started playing Oasis' Wonderwall big band style. +1 to that one.

On Saturday we decided to go to the neighbourhood communal garage sale. I don't know if it was the sun, or the smell of thirty kinds of homemade cakes or the colours of the vintage dresses, and let me stop before I start sounding like a hippie, but it was pretty freakin' charming. Of course there was a lot of junk too, but after I resisted the urge of buying an awesome bright yellow Fornarina felt hat for a fiver or any of the toys or the old paintings or the odd kitchen contraptions, my mom gave me a treat and bought me the funnest skate scooter for 20 euros. I came back home riding it, laughing my ass off, while my mom was shaking her head telling me to stay off the road and wondering if she didn't buy me enough toys when she should've.

We got home and I took full advantage of the fact that we have a huge living area, by riding my scooter in the house, annoying my mom who was trying to watch Come Dine With Me on the TV. We had tickets to an American football game that night, but we both fell asleep on the sofa... we could afford the luxury because on Sunday we had more stuff to do, namely a Jazz Festival in a nearby city. And that was pretty awesome too, but a totally different story for maybe another time.

See, this is what I love about Düsseldork. No matter what you like or what your mood is, there's always something to do. And it's no big fuss, no trendy bells, it's just something natural. It's just the way it is.

So I conclude with my "song of the day": Dan Black - Wonder.

2 Comments:

Blogger TZ 1 said...

This is the best description of our city I've ever heard and I can't wait to come back home!

2:03 PM  
Blogger silvia g said...

yes baby, come home. like... now.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker